ETHOCEL™ Premium Ethylcellulose Polymers
ETHOCEL™ products are water-insoluble polymers approved for global pharmaceutical applications and used in extended release solid dosage formulations.
Main pharmaceutical applications:
- Extended release multiparticulate coating
- Micro-encapsulation of actives
- Taste-masking of bitter actives
- Extended release binder in inert matrix systems
- Solvent and extrusion granulation
ETHOCEL provides formulation flexibility for pharmaceutical applications:
- Range of molecular weights, can be blended for intermediate viscosities
- Fine particle (FP) range for use in inert matrix systems, providing improved lipophilic properties realized by increase in surface area
- Modify release profiles when ETHOCEL is used in combination with water-soluble excipients, such as METHOCEL™ premium cellulose ethers
ETHOCEL has been widely used in the Pharmaceutical industry for over 50 years, backed by an excellent safety record with global compendial acceptance and compliance with the US Food Chemical Codex. Also approved for dietary supplement use in Europe and USA.
Colorcon, through the Controlled Release Alliance, has exclusive, global sales and distribution rights for ETHOCEL products from DuPont for use in controlled release applications.
ETHOCEL™ is a registered trademark of DuPont or its affiliates.
- AAPS 2008 - Investigation of Ethylcellulose in the Preparation of Theophylline ER Inert Matrix Tablets
- AAPS 2012 - Stability of Ethylcellulose Barrier Membrane Coated Hydrochlorothiazide Matrices Comprising Starch 1500® or Lactose as Filler
- AAPS 2014 - A QbD Investigation into the Effect of Ethylcellulose Viscosity Variation on the Drug Release of Metoprolol Tartrate Extended Release Multiparticulates
- AAPS 2015 - Feasibility of Taste-Masking a Highly Soluble Drug via Powder Layering with Fine Particle Ethylcellulose
- AAPS 2017 - Stability Evaluation of Ethylcellulose Dry Powder Coated Metoprolol Tartrate Extended Release Multiparticulates
- CRS 2008 - Influence of Solvent Type on ER Coating with Ethylcellulose Barrier Membranes
- CRS 2008 - Investigation of Venlafaxine HCl Release from Extruded and Spheronized Beads Coated with Ethylcellulose using Organic or Aqueous Coating Systems
- CRS 2009 - Influence of Coating System Type on Acetaminophen Release from Ethylcellulose Barrier Membrane Coated Multiparticulates
- CRS 2009 - Influence of Molecular Weight on Drug Release from Ethylcellulose Barrier Membrane Multiparticulates
- CRS 2010 - Influence of Pore-Former on Drug Release from Ethylcellulose Coated Multiparticulates
- CRS 2011 - Influence of Dissolution Media pH on Drug Release from Ethylcellulose Coated Multiparticulates
- CRS 2011 - Influence of Drug Solubility on Release from Ethylcellulose Barrier Membrane Coated Multiparticulates
- CRS 2014 - Investigation of the Effect of Ethylcellulose Viscosity Variation Using QbD Samples on Drug Release from Extended Release Multiparticulates