- Disintegration and dissolution properties that are independent of media pH.
- Low capsule and tablet weight variation and ultimately lower overall costs.
- Flow aid to improve uniformity of capsule fill
- Binder to facilitate plug formation and reduces powder fallout when the plug is transferred
- Lubricity means a lower force to eject material into the capsule shell (compared to other excipients) and leads to reduced wear on equipment.
Multifunctional properties are important for powders used as capsule fillers. They must be free flowing, non-adhesive and cohesive enough to form plugs at low compressive forces.(1) The flow properties of Starch 1500 and StarCap 1500 make them ideal for capsule filling applications. These multifunctional starch excipients provide excellent uniformity of weight and drug content which ultimately results in fewer capsules being rejected on the filling line. The use of these products also corresponds to a cleaner filling operation on high speed production scale equipment.
Contact Colorcon to find out all the ways you can put multifunctional starch excipients to work for you.
(1) Dekker, Marcel (2002) Encyclopedia of Pharmaceutical Technology